Setting Up/Customizing Intake Forms & Case Forms Follow
Law Ruler Software has a powerful intake/case form builder that allows you to create and edit customized questionnaires for each Type of Case or docket that your firm is handling.
Only users with Admin Rights will have access to make the changes mentioned in this article.
- Using the blue menu on the left-hand side of the screen, click on "Setup".
- Navigate to the “Intake/Case Form Builder” page.
- From the “Select Case Type” dropdown, choose the case type for which you’d like to build an intake/case form. Please note that any fields created under the “All” case type will display inside of every record in the portal.
- Creating New Fields
The “ADD NEW FIELDS” menu on the left will be used to create any new fields in the intake/case form. When creating a new field, you can either choose from the dropdown of Existing Fields or you can create a Custom Field using any of the several Field Types available.
Description of Field Types:
- Label (No Input): This field type is for any headers, labels, and/or additional scripting you’d like to add to your form.
- Single Line Text: This field type is for questions with shorter answers, such as “Relationship to the Injured Party”.
- Paragraph Text: This field type is for questions with lengthier answers, such as “Describe the accident”.
- Drop Down Text: This field type is for questions that need to show a list of choices, where only one choice can be selected, such as "Do you own or rent your home?".
- Yes or No Question: This field type is for questions that only require either a “Yes” or “No” answer, such as “Are you married?”.
- Pick List (Multi-Select): This field type is for questions that need to show a list of choices, where more than one choice can be selected, such as “Select any of the following medical conditions that you have been diagnosed with”.
- Date: This field type is for questions that require a date-only value to be entered, such as “Date of Marriage”. It is not recommended to use this field type for questions where a complete date (MM/DD/YYYY) cannot be provided.
- Time: This field type is for questions where a time of day needs to be selected, such as “Time of Incident”. This field type will only allow you to select a time in 15-minute increments (10:00 AM, 10:15 AM, 10:30 AM, 10:45 AM, 11:00 AM, etc.)
- Phone: This field type is for phone numbers only, such as “Emergency Contact Phone Number”. This field type only allows for numeric entries of 10-digits. It is not recommended to use this field type if a complete phone number cannot be provided or if multiple phone numbers need to be entered in the same field.
- SSN: This field type is for Social Security Numbers only, such as “Spouse’s Social Security Number”. This field type only allows for numeric entries of 9-digits.
- Radio Button: This field type is for questions that need to show a list of choices, where only one choice can be selected, such as "Do you own or rent your home?".
- File Uploader: This field type is used for uploading documents and files. Any files uploaded will be found in the Documents tab of the lead/case record. This field type should only be used if you are sending the intake/case form online.
Whether you choose to create an Existing Field or a Custom Field, a pop-up will appear that will allow you to make edits to the appearance of the new field that will be added. In this pop-up, you will be able to edit the label for your field and apply text formatting.
You can also choose where the field should appear under the Field Location setting:
- Intake Form: The field will appear under the “Intake Form” tab inside of Lead records.
- Case Form: The field will appear under the “Case Form” tab inside of Case records.
- Intake Screen: The field will appear at the top of the “Intake Details” inside of Lead records.
- Case Screen: The field will appear at the top of the “Case Details” inside of Case records.
In addition, you can select the “Mark field as mandatory” setting which will make this a required field (if the online form is sent, the recipient will need to fill out this field to be able to submit the form). By selecting the “Invisible to client, internal use only” setting, the field will not appear to the lead/client in the online form that is sent to them.
- Editing/Deleting Existing Fields
To edit an existing field, click on that field in the Intake/Case Form Builder screen and hover over the 3 dots on the upper-right corner of the field until you see the green pencil and red X icons. Click on the green pencil icon to open up the field editor.
To delete an existing field, repeat the same steps described in the paragraph above but this time you will click on the red X icon.
- Moving Fields Around
To rearrange fields in your form, click on the field that you wish to move and point your cursor over the 3 lines on the top center of the field. When the cursor changes, click on the field and drag it to the location on the form that you would like and drop it by unclicking.
You can select multiple fields to move around by clicking on the small square that appears in the upper-left corner when you click on the field.
- Copying and Moving Fields Across Case Types
The form builder also allows you to copy and move fields across Case Type forms. Select any fields you’d like to copy or move and then scroll near the top of the page until you see the “Copy/Move Selected Fields to” setting. You will choose which Case Type to copy/move the fields to and also which form tab the fields should be placed under. By clicking the “Copy” button to the right, any selected fields will be copied over to the selected Case Type form. However, by clicking the “Move” button, the fields will be moved from the current form to the one selected. The “Move” option does not create a copy of the fields, but instead completely moves them from one form to another.
- Thank You Page (For Online Forms)
If you are sending the form to be completed online, you can edit the “Thank You” page that appears to the lead/client once the form has been submitted. To do this, scroll to the top of the page and click on the “Edit Thank You Page” button. A new tab will open up where you will see a file uploader and a textbox. The file uploader can be used to upload an image for the Thank You page, such as the firm’s logo. The textbox can be used to type out a message, such as “Thank you for completing the form!” Don’t forget to click the “Save” button to save any changes you make.
- Form Header (For Online Forms)
If you are sending the form to be completed online, you also have the option to edit the header that will appear at the very top of the page when the lead/client clicks on the link to fill out the form. To do this, at the top of the Intake/Case Form Builder page, click on the “Edit Form Header” button. A new tab will open up with a textbox where you can type in anything, such as a title for the form and/or instructions for filling out the form. This textbox allows you to apply text formatting and also supports the use of any Law Ruler mail merge codes. Don’t forget to click either of the “Save Questionnaire Header” buttons to save your changes.