How to Create an E-Sign Document Template with HelloSign (Text E-Sign friendly) Follow
- Option 1 - Using the Graphical Editor - Skill Level: Easy
This is the recommended HelloSign setup process. Using HelloSign's graphical editor is simple. Each field that you add to the template will use HelloSign's default fonts/font sizes. You may also select the font and font size for each mail merge field that you add if you want to fine tune it.
- Option 2 - The Manual Approach - Skill Level: Intermediate
Note: The Manual Approach is Obsolete as of 01/01/2021
This method is for exceptions and is not recommended unless you are having difficulty getting fonts to match and it is a concern. The graphical editor is the preferred way of setting up e-sign templates and our recommended solution, not this method. With that said, this method will get you a 100% exact match of any fonts and font sizes with the source document and requires editing your e-sign template manually in Microsoft Word.
Option 1: Let's start with the easy way as to how to use the embedded HelloSign e-sign graphical editor. This is the easy way to set up e-sign templates and is recommended.
Within the editor users are able to use different types of signer fields: text boxes, checkboxes, initial fields, dropdown menus**, radio buttons**, sign date and signature. Below we'll navigate through the editor.
To place any signer field on a document simply click on any of the choices in the fields section to the left hand side of the editor. Once the field has been selected click on the document where the field needs to be placed. Dragging the field once it's been placed is also an option to adjust exactly where it needs to be.
Once the field is in the proper place users can then select who they'd like to assign the field to, what font you'd like to select for the field, if a written field, font size and if you'd like to add a label to the field from the menu which populates on the righthand side of the editor.
Adding a label allows you to enter in a word or phrase to let signers know what needs to go in the text box.
As you move through the editing process, you're able to see a thumbnail view of all the pages within your request on the righthand side menu.
Create a manual e-sign template in Microsoft Word and add each field manually by pasting each field into the document as plain text. This method will get you a 100% exact match of any fonts and font sizes.
- Open up the retainer in Microsoft Word
- Manually put the mail merge codes in the document. When you paste the mail merge codes, we recommend using "Keep Text Only" as the paste method to Paste as Plain Text, and Word will automatically match the font/font size of the source document for each mail merge field.
- For each signature block, add this signature action code for HelloSign:
*** Note: The signature block must be in the document somewhere or you will get an error when trying to use the template since HelloSign will reject it ***
- Create a New E-Sign Template in Setup > E-Sign Settings
- Upload your Word document into the HelloSign template for the firm/case type needed.
- Then, pick 1 field only, any field is ok. Then press "Save" per the screenshot below:
- Press "Next" at the bottom to continue to the HelloSign graphical e-sign editor window.
- Then when the HelloSign editor loads, press the "X" in the top-right corner.
Please do NOT press "Continue" or their graphical editor takes over and you will have to manually pick the font/font size for each and every field added to make it match.
Success! Now, your e-sign template will be a perfect match for the source document and the mail merge fields.
Any other questions? Please contact Law Ruler Support at firstname.lastname@example.org
Aside from Law Ruler, all other trademarks, trade names, screenshots, or company names referenced herein are used for identification purposes only and are the property of their respective owners.