The Law Ruler system includes an integration with the #1 E-Sign provider, HelloSign. Your firm can start sending out text message/email e-sign retainers right away. Law Ruler's embedded version of HelloSign has significant time savings where it only takes seconds to fill in client information from the database and send it to your recipients via text message and email.
In order to send your first e-sign, you will want to use Law Ruler's point-and-click editor from HelloSign to set up your first e-sign template. For most scenarios, the embedded HelloSign e-sign graphical editor will be the best option for you.
However, there are some unique scenarios where the font/font size of the mail merge fields will not match the source document for various reasons where manual intervention may be required if you need it to be perfect. In unique scenarios, you will set up the template manually in Microsoft Word which is also described below as Option 2.
There are a couple of ways to setup e-sign templates in the system:
- Option 1 - Using the Graphical Editor - Skill Level: Easy
This method is more straightforward and recommended. Using HelloSign's graphical editor is simple. Each field that you add to the template will use HelloSign's default fonts/font sizes. Unless you would like to select the font and font size for each mail merge field that you add.
- Option 2 - The Manual Approach - Skill Level: Intermediate
This method is for exceptions and is not recommended unless you are having difficulty getting fonts to match and it is a concern. The graphical editor is the preferred way of setting up e-sign templates and our recommended solution, not this method. With that said, this method will get you a 100% exact match of any fonts and font sizes with the source document and requires editing your e-sign template manually in Microsoft Word.
Option 1: Let's start with how to use the embedded HelloSign e-sign graphical editor. This is the easy way to set up e-sign templates and is recommended.
Option 2 - More Difficult - Create a manual e-sign template in Microsoft Word and add each field manually by pasting each field into the document as plain text. This method will get you a 100% exact match of any fonts and font sizes.
Steps for editing a Word document to create a manual e-sign template (this is the only way to guarantee the same fonts/font sizes):
- Open up the retainer in Microsoft Word
- Manually put the mailmerge codes in the document. When you paste the mail merge codes, we recommend using "Keep Text Only" as the paste method to Paste as Plain Text, and Word will automatically match the font/font size of the source document for each mail merge field.
- For each signature block, add this signature action code for HelloSign:
*** Note: The signature block must be in the document somewhere or you will get an error when trying to use the template since HelloSign will reject it ***
Steps to override the HelloSign graphical e-sign editor to accept your manual/hardcoded Word template:
- Create a New E-Sign Template in Setup > E-Sign Settings
- Upload your Word document into the HelloSign template for the firm/case type needed.
- Then, pick 1 field only, any field is ok. Then press "Save" per the screenshot below:
- Press "Next" at the bottom to continue to the HelloSign graphical e-sign editor window.
- Then when the HelloSign editor loads, press the "X" in the top-right corner.
Please do NOT press "Continue" or their graphical editor takes over and you will have to manually pick the font/font size for each and every field added to make it match.
- Success! Now, your e-sign template will be a perfect match for the source document and the mail merge fields.
Any other questions? Please contact Law Ruler Support at email@example.com