Setting Up InstaPage Landing Pages to Integrate with Law Ruler Follow
Setting Up InstaPage Landing Pages to Integrate with Law Ruler
Law RulerTM proudly supports our integration with InstaPage (also searched as “Insta Page") landing page lead conversion software. This tutorial will also help familiarize you with how to set up and maintain the integrations for your firm’s workflow. The InstaPage > Law Ruler Integration is 1-way and it will create new leads/intakes in Law Ruler when a web form submission is completed on any InstPage landing page that is integrated. If the lead/intake already exists in Law Ruler, then it will append the call information to the existing lead/intake based on Law Ruler duplicate checking rules.
At the time that the web form submission is completed, any available “UTM” also known as keyword tracking data from Google Analytics/Adwords will automatically insert into Law Ruler when the lead/intake is created via the InstaPage > Law Ruler Integration.
Instapage is a third-party application that allows users to quickly build custom landing pages and increase conversion as a result. Law Ruler is a legal case management software CRM that integrate with Instapage to track the source of every lead received from their landing pages.
Aside from Law Ruler, all other trademarks, trade names, screenshots or company names referenced herein are used for identification purposes only and are the property of their respective owners.
For any support needs regarding InstaPage, please contact InstaPage support directly since Law Ruler may assist with the integration process but they cannot support InstaPage.
Table of Contents
Let’s get started with a high-level overview of how the InstaPage > Law Ruler Integration works so you can conceptualize it while performing the steps below.
- Inside of your InstaPage system, you will create a “Webhook” integration one time to connect to your Law Ruler
- You will download the Law Ruler DNI keyword tracking script one time
- You will need to implement the below steps for each “InstaPage Landing Page”
- You will install the Law Ruler DNI keyword tracking script in the header and footer tags of each “InstaPage Landing Page”
- You will create each “InstaPage Landing Page”
- Add the standard form fields to your “InstaPage Landing Page” as needed, example: Name, Phone #, Email
- You will add “Hidden Form Fields” inside of each “InstaPage Landing Page” to track “UTM” keyword data
- After each “InstaPage Landing Page” is created per above, you will need to then map each integration with all the same form fields to your Law Ruler system using the InstaPage Integration Connector. This step may feel a bit repetitive, but it is quite different than above since are telling each InstaPage Form Field how to insert into Law Ruler API
- Test each “InstaPage Landing Page”
- Complete! Yay! 👍
You may access the Law Ruler DNI keyword tracking script for InstaPage here:
The current download password is: lr11020
If the password does not work for you or if you have questions, then please contact Law Ruler Support.
If you need help or as an alternative option, Law Ruler could install their keyword tracking plugin on your landing page for you at a 1-time cost if you want to outsource the implementation and setup of this integration to their expert team.
⚠️Please note: this tracking script is custom for InstaPage and will only function with “InstaPage Landing Pages”
Log in to your InstaPage system. Click on the “Create Page” to create a new “InstaPage Landing Page”
Next, you will select the type of “InstaPage Landing Page” Most firms will choose the “Standard Landing Page”
Select the desired layout for your “InstaPage Landing Page”
Press “Select” on the desired layout. Then, add a name for your page > Press “Continue”
Then, continue with the steps below for editing an existing “InstaPage Landing Page”
Log in to your InstaPage system. Click on the “InstaPage Landing Page” that you would like to edit.
After selecting the “InstaPage Landing Page” that you would like to edit, then the left side of the screen will become grayed out and the form details will pop up on the right side of your screen as shown below:
Click on “SCRIPTS AND GDPR” to add the Law Ruler DNI script.
Paste the “header” code from the Law Ruler tracking script into the “HEAD” tab.
Next, paste all the “header” code from the Law Ruler tracking script into the “HEAD” tab.
A partial snippet of the “header” code is shown below with the instructions for example purposes:
Next, click on the “FOOTER” tab to access it.
Now, you will paste all the “footer” code from the Law Ruler tracking script into the “FOOTER” tab.
A partial snippet of the “footer” code is shown below with the instructions for example purposes:
FYI – Per InstaPage, adding custom HTML and CSS to your landing page is done the same way, you just need to use the HTML/CSS tab from the Settings menu. The custom codes and Law Ruler DNI tracking script will only execute in preview mode or on the published page (and not in the editor).
Also, every published page will be including the jQuery library if the jQuery syntax can be found on the page. However, note that the page loading time might be slightly increased in this case.
Law Ruler Support is not able to provide support regarding the Instapage system. If you have additional questions that do not directly pertain to the InstaPage > Law Ruler Integration, then please contact InstaPage support.
Press “Save” to return to the Edit Landing Page mode or re-select the same “InstaPage Landing Page” from the InstaPage Landing Pages menu.
👍 Nice Job!
Now that the programming work is complete, the next step is to add hidden fields to each of your landing page web forms with the “UTM” parameters that you want to send into Law Ruler for marketing analytics.
At this time, you should still have the same “InstaPage Landing Page” open on your screen in the Edit Landing Page mode. Otherwise, you will need to re-select the same landing page from the InstaPage Landing Pages menu.
Click “Edit Design” to edit the form fields.
At this time, you will add any qualifying questions and other form fields that you need to gather as part of your lead intake process for this “InstaPage Landing Page” as you would normally.
After adding your required fields, you will want to add the “Hidden Form Fields” for “UTM” tracking. This is necessary because although you may have live session data in your landing page for each new visitor, that data has no way of integrating with your Law Ruler system without completing this step. This step tells the “InstaPage Landing Page” to send the “UTM” tracking data to Law Ruler.
From inside of the Instapage landing page form editor, double-click in the empty space outside of any field in the webform to have the “+ ADD FIELD” This can be a bit picky so make sure you do not click on any existing fields or it will open the settings for that field and not prompt you to create a new form field.
Click “+ ADD FIELD”
Select “Hidden” for the field type.
Enter a “Hidden field name” based on the listed parameters below. The order of the parameters does not matter.
There are two types of “Hidden Form Fields” that will be implemented:
- Placeholders – for placeholders, you will only add the “Hidden field name” since Law Ruler DNI code will insert the rest of the key/value pair data when the web form submission is completed. Leave the “Hidden label value” blank for placeholders.
- Values – you will complete both the “Hidden field name” AND the “Hidden label value” for fields that need a value
Example of a completed “Hidden Form Field” that is a placeholder/leave value empty:
Example of a completed “Hidden Form Field” that requires both a field name and a value to be added:
*** Add all “Hidden Form Field” parameters listed below to each “InstaPage Landing Page” that you would like to connect to Law Ruler.
Do not include any quotation marks “” in your parameters.
⚠️ Please note: Law Ruler API is case sensitive so it is recommended that you and copy and paste these values.
List of “Hidden Form Field” Parameters
- Leave the value empty. This is a placeholder. The Law Ruler DNI code with insert this for you. It pulls the data from the website visitor’s cookie/session data.
- Please set this value as "Webform Submission" for good marketing analytics tracking purposes
- Leave the value empty. This is a placeholder. The Law Ruler DNI code with insert this for you.
- Leave the value empty. This is a placeholder. The Law Ruler DNI code with insert this for you.
- Leave the value empty. This is a placeholder. The Law Ruler DNI code with insert this for you.
- This will be your Secret Law Ruler API Key – this is the secret API key for your Law Ruler system.
⚠️ Only share this secret key with vendors that you actively do business with.
Example: Key= ABCDE123456A123ABC1A1B2C3D4EFG
Note: this is not your real secret key. Go to “Setup” > “Third-Party Integrations” in Law Ruler for the real one
Press “Save” to save your work.
⚠️ If your firm uses the Five9 > Law Ruler integration, then you will need to add some additional “Hidden Form Fields” in each “InstaPage Landing Page” If you do not have the Five9 > Law Ruler integration, then please do not add these additional hidden fields. If you do not set the Five9 parameter correctly, then the screen pop of the Law Ruler intake (on-call) in the Five9 dialer will not work.
For Five9, please review the Law Ruler < > Five9 Integration tutorial in detail.
- This is the current Five9 Campaign Name (NOT LIST NAME) which also will need to be set up in Law Ruler as a “Law Ruler Case Type” before activating this “InstaPage Landing Page”
- If you do not use the Five9 > Law Ruler integration, and you still want to set a “Law Ruler Case Type” with these web form submissions, then please choose a case type from your Law Ruler system by clicking on “Setup” > “Case Types, Milestones, Task List Items” and copying/pasting it.
- There are a couple of available scenarios for e-sign in the Five9 < > Integration that you may implement:
- If you need to instantly send an e-sign to the website visitor upon completion of the “InstaPage Landing Page” then you will need to set the status as "Sent e-Sign".
- If you do *not* need to instantly send an e-sign to the website visitor upon completion of the “InstaPage Landing Page” then you will NOT need to set the status. By default, all new leads/intakes in Law Ruler will post as "New Lead". Do not add "Status" if you do not need the instant e-sign to be sent. FYI - we just wanted to make sure this was known.
- This value is the current Five9 List name for the associated campaign.
Press “Save” to save your work and return to the InstaPage Landing Page selection menu.
After adding the “Hidden Form Fields” we will need to set up the integration to allow InstaPage to post each “InstaPage Landing Page” to connect to your Law Ruler system. This only needs to be done one time.
You should still be on the same “InstaPage Landing Page” in the InstaPage Landing Page selection menu. If not, then select the “InstaPage Landing Page” that you would like to edit, then the left-side of the screen will become grayed out and the form details will pop up on the right-side of you screen as shown below.
Then, click on “Form Integrations”
If you have added “Webhook” integrations before, then you will see “Webhook” available > Select “Webhook” to continue.
If you have never added a “Webhook” before, then you will be redirected to the InstaPage Integrations screen. Scroll down to the bottom or search in the browser for “Webhook” and select it to add this as an available integration option for your InstaPage account. This will only need to be performed one time to add this to your available integrations.
Add the Law Ruler “Law Ruler API URL” parameter
Law Ruler API URL: You will add your Law Ruler site URL with the API filename (lawruler-parsing.aspx) at the end of it.
Note: this is not your real URL. You must add your firm’s URL and not “lrtraining”
Press “Connect” to add the Law Ruler “Webhook” integration to your InstaPage account.
If you are successful, then it should look this way:
Now that you have the InstaPage “Webhook” added to the available integrations in your InstaPage account, we can get it configured and ready to start creating leads/intakes in your Law Ruler system! You only do the above steps one time, but you will need to set up each “InstaPage Landing Page” integration on an individual basis for each lander.
From inside of the selected “InstaPage Landing Page” > Under “Connected Integrations” you will select the “Webhook” that you just configured.
Then, click on your Law Ruler “API Site URL” from the “Available Endpoints”:
(Remember: You must add your firm’s URL and not see “lrtraining” here or it will not work for you)
Press “Continue” after selecting the endpoint.
For Step 2: Token, leave it blank and press “Continue” again
For Step 3: Method, select “Send by POST” and press “Continue” again:
For Step 4: Fields, you must configure the all of the fields used inside of this InstaPage Landing Page to Law Ruler fields such as “First Name”, “Last Name”, “Email”, “Phone Number” All form fields need to be mapped to the corresponding field in Law Ruler API or InstaPage will not let you continue.
⚠️ In this step please remove any auto-filled InstaPage parameters that are not Law Ruler Parameters in this step. These extra parameters could cause the form submission to fail due to the API post submitting a non-Law Ruler parameter to our API.
⚠️Do *not* use the prefilled InstaPage field suggestions. They are incorrect and will not work with Law Ruler API. You do not have to add any lead source fields since that was already completed with the “Hidden Form Fields” above
Law Ruler Common Field Parameters for Reference
- FirstName – this is the First Name parameter in Law Ruler API
- LastName – this is the Last Name parameter in Law Ruler API
- CellPhone – this is the default phone number parameter in Law Ruler and is required
- Email1 – this is the primary email address parameter in Law Ruler API
- Address1 – this is the street address 1 parameter in Law Ruler API
- Address 2 – this is the street address 2 parameter in Law Ruler API
- City – this is the city parameter in Law Ruler API
- State – this is the state parameter in Law Ruler API, use 2-digit state codes
- Zip – this is the zip/postal code parameter in Law Ruler API
- CaseType – this is the case type parameter in Law Ruler API. For Five9 clients, this must be the Five9 Campaign Name
- CampaignName – this is used for the Five9 integration only. This must be the Five9 List Name
- LeadProvider – this should not be used unless you want to hard code the lead/marketing source and not use “UTM” keyword tracking parameters
- For more fields, please visit the Law Ruler API guide
Custom Law Ruler fields for each Case Type:
If you want to post your “InstaPage Landing Pages” to any Law Ruler Case Type custom fields, then you will need to copy/paste the custom field parameters from inside of the Law Ruler “Intake/Case Form Builder” to Instapage.
To find your custom field parameters, log in to Law Ruler and go to "Setup" on the left-side blue menu > click on "Intake/Case Form Builder"
Select the Case Type that you want to configure. Each Law Ruler Case Type has its own unique custom field parameters.
Left-click on the existing Law Ruler field that you would like to view.
Press the blue clipboard icon to copy the field parameter. You need to remove the angular brackets since those are Law Ruler mail merge codes and not to be used as part of any Law Ruler API parameters.
Example field: Did you wear Combat Arms Earplugs?
This would be <<Custom123>> and would need to be added as “Custom123” without the brackets.
The API parameter for that field is the custom mail merge code in lower case, without the "<<" and ">>" angular brackets. The API custom field parameters are case sensitive!
The custom Law Ruler API parameter would look like this: "custom123". Once you have this, you would put the parameter in the InstaPage webhook settings in Step 4: Fields for the corresponding InstaPage field.
⚠️Please note: the InstaPage form fields must be the same datatype as the Law Ruler fields or they will not be compatible.
Example: If the InstaPage form fields is a "Yes" or "No" drop-down, then the Law Ruler field must be set up as a "Yes" or "No" drop-down data type in the “Law Ruler Intake/Case Form Builder”
After adding all of fields, press “Continue”
For Step 5: Session, you will skip it and press “Continue” again.
For Step 6: Finish, you will skip it and press “Continue” again.
🔁 Rinse and Repeat until all your “InstaPage Landing Pages” are connected to Law Ruler.
Congratulations! Now that the tedious part is completed, we will now test some web form submissions. This is highly recommended because you want to know that everything is working as it should be. You absolutely should not assume that everything is perfect until you get a successful test submission for each “InstaPage Landing Page” One little issue in the steps above could break the “InstaPage Landing Page” so let’s do some testing until we know that each “InstaPage Landing Page” is verified as fully operational and connected to Law Ruler.
At this time, you will want to copy/paste your new “InstaPage Landing Page” URL and then log out of InstaPage or open a new incognito browser window. Make sure that you do not have any previously saved cookie data or an adblocker on in your web browser. We recommend testing using an incognito browser window when visiting the landing page to fill out the form as it does not store any cookie/cached data. You may have previously saved data which can throw off the test.
One way to clear out the cookie data in Google Chrome for a specific landing page is to open the landing page and press the “F11” key to open "Developer tools"
To open the developer console window on Google Chrome, use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl-Shift-J (on Windows) or Ctrl-Option-J (on Mac). Alternatively, you can use the Chrome menu in the browser window, select the option "More Tools" and then select "Developer Tools"
Once the developer tools are open click on "Application" > Cookies > Select the landing page name, then one by one delete the cookie data by pressing the “Delete” key on your keyboard.
We recommend using this tool to enter the site using a google approved PPC URL with UTM data so you can see it pass into Law Ruler. Most PPC campaigns are auto-tagged with the UTM data but this will make it easier to test on the fly. These parameters can be passed in any redirect URL to attribute the UTM data to the lead when they fill out the form.
Google Campaign URL Builder https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/campaign-url-builder/
Sample testing URL with UTM tags: http://www.yourlandingpage.com/?utm_source=LawRulerTest&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=Test
(please substitute “yourlandingpage” in yellow with your actual landing page URL)
Visit the landing page using the URL with UTM tags.
Then, fill out the form and go in Law Ruler to make sure that the lead/intake created with the correct attributes you set.
Now, if your test works, you are done and off the proverbial ‘webhook’ 😊
If not, then you will need to go back step by step and retrace your steps until you get it working. If you need help, then please do not hesitate to contact Law Ruler Support to assist you further. Thanks for your time!
If you would like to disconnect any “InstaPage Landing Pages” from Law Ruler, then there are a couple of things that you should do. First, you should remove the Law Ruler DNI code snippets from the HEAD and FOOTER (location listed above) from each page.
Then, you should go into your InstaPage Integrations and remove the Law Ruler Endpoint in Webhooks. This will remove all connectivity. Select the endpoint https://lrtraining.lawruler.com/lawruler-parsing.aspx and press "DISCONNECT":
If you need further assistance, then please contact Law Ruler Support to assist you further.
🤗 Thank you very much for choosing Law Ruler!