Exporting Data from Clio Manage and Clio Grow Follow
To Export Data from Clio Legal Case Management Software, follow the instructions below:
For users of Clio legal case management software, Law Ruler recommends the following process to backup your firm's data from Clio to prepare it for Law Ruler import. Please be advised that Clio Grow has a different process for backing up that data and to consult with your Account Manager for details.
To proceed, you will need to perform the following steps to prepare a backup of your firm's data for the Law Ruler data migration team, or ask your dedicated Law Ruler Account Manager to discuss a plan to assist your firm with data migration.
💡 Please note that the success of any data migration depends primarily on the quality of the data set provided to Law Ruler. Before attempting to migrate your information, you should ensure that your data is consistently formatted, well organized, sufficiently backed up, and stored securely. If you are not certain how to proceed then we recommend that you consult with Law Ruler Support before proceeding.
When exporting data, ensure all filters have been removed prior to running the export and ensure an admin’s account is being used.
- Only administrators have the access to export client data.
Also, you must be logged in to Clio to access the Clio Export Page.
What Data Could I Export Out of Clio and Have Imported Into Law Ruler?
In most instances, the following data can be exported from Clio and imported into Law Ruler:
- Time Entries (Unbilled and Billed Only) - partially paid bills are not able to be imported due to limitations of the export provided by Clio. You must decide if those are unbilled, billed, or omitted.
- Expenses (Unbilled and Billed Only) - partially paid bills are not able to be imported due to limitations of the export provided by Clio. You must decide if those are unbilled, billed, or omitted.
Other items from Clio could be imported into Law Ruler as part of a custom scope of work. Data from more than 1 law firm is not permitted without a custom scope of work. A firm must decide if Law Ruler is migrating from either Clio Manage or Clio Grow unless they receive a custom scope of work that includes migration from both systems.
How to Export Date from Clio
- For the most updated instructions, please review How to Export Data from Clio on Clio.com
- Law Ruler will not be held responsible after the data migration is completed if it is later discovered that the data backups provided by your firm were missing data. Please double-check them to ensure the smoothest migration experience for your firm.
Export Process for Clio Manage
A user with administrative rights must be signed into the Clio system to export/back up data.
For all export types, make sure that:
- All Available Columns are selected
- All Filters are cleared
- All Dates are set
Able to be Migrated from Clio to Law Ruler with a Standard Scope of Work
- Contacts (see here)
- Matters (see here)
- Matter Custom Fields (see here) (the same steps as exporting Matters)
- Calendar events see here
- Tasks (see here)
- Related Contacts (see here)
- Matter Notes (see here)
Only Able to be Migrated with a Custom Scope of Work
- Contact Notes (see here) > Contact Notes are not supported currently in Law Ruler other than per custom scope of work as that the layouts are not compatible from Clio > Law Ruler.
- Contact Custom Fields require special handling and are not included in standard scopes of work to migrate Contact Custom Fields from Clio > Law Ruler.
- Documents from Clio (see here) - Documents from third-party file-sharing tools are supported. See the Law Ruler document migration process. Document Imports from Clio's cloud to Law Ruler are per custom scope of work and not included with standard Clio data migrations unless they are specifically mentioned in the scope.
Export Process for Clio Grow
With exporting data from Clio Grow/Lexicata, you can export a CSV list of your Contacts and Matters. However, this would not capture any Workflow information such as Forms, Documents, Notes, Email Logs, and other Files as that it is not available as a systemwide export. This is a limitation of the third-party system, not Law Ruler. As a result, Law Ruler cannot be held responsible to migrate or locate that data.
A firm must decide if Law Ruler is migrating from either Clio Manage or Clio Grow unless they receive a custom scope of work that includes migration from both systems.
To export a list of Contacts:
- Click on Contacts
- At the bottom of the page, click on Export all contacts to CSV
- You will receive an email with a CSV of all editable Contact fields and Custom fields
To export a list of Matters:
- Click on Matters
- At the bottom of the page, click on Export all matters to CSV
- You will receive an email with a CSV of all editable Matter fields and Custom fields
To back up any Workflow information, you can export this data to Clio Manage by going into each matter, clicking on Matter Options, and Export to Clio Manage. For more information on exporting data to Clio Manage, please see: How to Export a Matter From Clio Grow to Clio Manage
- To perform document migration, prior to being provided with a scope of work, Law Ruler will need to know where/how your documents are stored and what folder naming system is used. As a rule, your document folders must be named in a consistent way to allow for data migration. For example, all document folders should be consistently named with the same identical name as the matter name, matter ID, or the primary contact (client name).
- For example, the client name on a matter is John Test, thus the folder with that client's documents must be named, "John Test" or "Test, John" or with the matter ID number, for example "123456" otherwise it is not possible to migrate the data without doing so manually on the firm's side.
- Any folders that are not related to a specific client/matter cannot be imported and will need to be uploaded manually after the data migration is performed. Any document folders that are named in an inconsistent way will also require manual document migration by the firm after the data migration is performed.
- Some Clio firms have documents stored in a place other than Clio. That is acceptable if the folders are named in a standardized way as mentioned above.
Once the data backup from Clio has been provided to Law Ruler, inform your Account Manager so we may have our data migration team begin evaluating the backup.
Additional Data Migration Notes:
Please be advised that Law Ruler will make all good faith efforts to import the provided Excel files after the data migration project is approved by your firm, but if the files are missing critical identifiers such as Matter Name/ID or Contact Name/ID, then some of the Excel files may not be able to be imported. If this occurs, you will be advised of such by your dedicated Account Manager at Law Ruler.
Aside from Law Ruler, all other trademarks, trade names, screenshots, or company names referenced herein are used for identification purposes only and are the property of their respective owners. Law Ruler has no affiliation with Clio or Lexicata. Clio and Lexicata are third-party companies. The most updated instructions for each vendor will always be available on vendor-owned third-party websites.