Exporting Data from Prevail Follow
To Export Data from Prevail, Follow the Instructions Below:
For users of Prevail legal case management software, Law Ruler recommends the following process to back up your firm's data from Prevail to prepare it for Law Ruler's data migration team. This is necessary for the Law Ruler data migration team to begin work or ask your dedicated Law Ruler Account Manager to discuss a plan to assist your firm with data migration.
💡 Please note that the success of any data migration depends primarily on the quality of the data set provided to Law Ruler. Before attempting to migrate your information, you should ensure that your data is consistently formatted, well organized, sufficiently backed up, and stored securely. If you are not certain how to proceed then we recommend that you consult with your dedicated Law Ruler Account Manager or Law Ruler Support before proceeding.
- Only administrators may export client data.
Aside from Law Ruler, all other trademarks, trade names, screenshots, or company names referenced herein are used for identification purposes only and are the property of their respective owners.
What Data Could I Export Out of Prevail and Have Imported Into Law Ruler?
In most instances, the following data can be exported from Prevail and imported into Law Ruler:
Other items from Prevail could be imported into Law Ruler as part of a custom scope of work.
Documents (requires a custom scope of work):
- To perform document migration, prior to being provided with a scope of work, Law Ruler will need to know where/how your documents are stored and what folder naming system is used. As a rule, your document folders must be named in a consistent way to allow for data migration. For example, all document folders should be consistently named with the same identical name as the matter name, matter ID, or the primary contact (client name).
- For example, the client name on a matter is: John Test, thus the folder with that client's documents must be named, "John Test" or "Test, John" or with the matter ID number, for example, "123456" otherwise it is not possible to migrate the data without doing so manually on the firm's side.
- Any folders that are not related to a specific client/matter cannot be imported and will need to be uploaded manually after the data migration is performed. Any document folders that are named in an inconsistent way will also require manual document migration by the firm after the data migration is performed.
- Some firms have documents stored in a place other than their case management. That is acceptable if the folders are named in a standardized way as mentioned above.
How to Export Data from Prevail:
- Open Prevail.
- Open the "Administration" menu
- Select "Export Contacts"
- Select a location to save the export file, and name it.
- Provide this export file to Law Ruler for review
Alternative Data Export Option:
For some versions of Prevail, visiting "File" then "Export" will provide an option to export both contacts and matters.
In addition, you may want to request a full database backup from Prevail.