Invoice Billing Report - Billing History and Accounts Receivable (Collections) Report Follow
This feature only applies to Law Ruler instances of the CRM.
The CRM's Invoice Billing Report is versatile and designed to give firms a detailed view of which invoices are open receivables, past due receivables, and which invoices have been paid. This report may be used in multiple ways, to show all billing on each case, or as an Accounts Receivable (A/R) or Collections Report that only shows money that is owed to the firm. Also, this report may be used to show the billing history of clients.
Using the main navigation menu on the left-hand side of the screen, go to “Reports”.
⚠️ Only users with the Reports permission will have access to this screen.
Navigate to the “Invoice Billing Report” page.
Invoice Billing Report Options and Filters
Once you are in the Invoice Billing Report, you have several options to choose from to get the information that you need on your report.
Click the "Run Report" button to run the report based on the filters and options selected. If you would like to change the results, then click the "Cancel" button which will allow you to change the filters/options and run the report again. Rinse and repeat as needed!
- Report Period - This dropdown filter will allow you to select a predefined date range or select "Custom" to enter a custom date range for the "Start Date" and "As of" fields.
- Billing History Report Use - To run a report to show all billing history, regardless of open balances, past due invoices, or fully/partially paid invoices, you will want to be mindful of the "Start Date" value which is dependent on the Invoice Date when each invoice was created. Only invoices created in the date range selected will be displayed in the report. For example, if you created an invoice in January 2022 and the Start Date is set to June 2023 then you will not see that particular invoice in the report results.
- Accounts Receivable/Collections Report Use - To run an A/R, also known as a Collections/Aging Report, you will need to be mindful of both the "Start Date" and the "As of" date, as well as the "Only Show Open Balances" filter. You must toggle the "Only Show Open Balances" filter to the On position to use this report as a Collections Report. Please note that this filter is Off by default. A Collections report provides a list of clients that have a balance greater than 0.00, thus they owe your firm money. The aging of each invoice (how long the invoice has been due) is shown in the "Age" column of the report results.
- The "As of" field will display the current balance of each invoice as of the date selected. It is recommended to always leave the value of "As of" set to the current date.
- Only Show Open Balances - This filter toggle is set to the Off position by default since a Billing History Report must show all invoice billing, whether paid, partially paid, or open. If you would like to use this report as an Accounts Receivable/Collections Report, then set this toggle to the On position to only output open balance cases where your firm is owed money.
- Case Type - Select from 1 or more practice areas to filter the report by case type. Default = All.
- Specific Case - Search for 1 or more cases to filter the report by specific cases. Default = All.
- Billed Staff User - Select 1 or more specific users to see their billing activity. Default = All.
- Case Billing Type - Select 1 or more billing types to filter the report results. Default = All.
About the Invoice Billing Report
The results of the Invoice Billing Report will look similar to the following screenshot.
The report contains all of these metrics and sort filters in each column to allow sorting A to Z (Ascending) or Z to A (Descending) by pressing the arrow icons:
- Invoice Date - The date that each invoice is created.
- Due Date - The date that each invoice is due. An invoice will be considered Past Due if it has exceeded the due date without being fully paid.
- Age - This is the number of calendar days since the invoice was created.
- Invoice # - This is the invoice number. This is a clickable link if you want to go right to the invoice inside the case record.
- Case - This displays the Case Name. This is a clickable link if you want to go right to the case.
- Billed Staff User - This displays the name of the billed staff user.
- Status - This is the current status of the invoice: Open, Paid, Past Due
- Amount - The total amount of the invoice.
- Payments - The total amount of any payments made for the invoice.
- Credits - The total amount of any credits issued for the invoice.
- Balance - The open balance remaining for the invoice.
- Case Total - The total balance for all invoices on the case.
NOTE: Clients with multiple cases show a total balance and appear bundled together in the report results.
Exporting the Invoice Billing Report
Need to export this report? Click the "Export/Schedule Report" button located at the top of the report screen. In the small pop-up that appears, give the report a name, select the "Export now" option from the "Schedule Frequency" dropdown, and choose at least 1 recipient.
The report will export once in real-time via the Notification Center. When the report is ready, you simply need to click the bell icon in the upper-right corner of your screen to download it!
You will also receive a Notification Center email when the report is ready to download.
You can turn off the email notifications that deliver when a report is ready. Click your user initials bubble in the screen's upper-right corner and go to User Settings > Notification Center > Uncheck the 'Email' checkbox for the Reports notification type.
Automated Delivery of Billing/Accounts Receivable/Collections Reports
Need a 30-day A/R or Collections Report sent to you daily that shows a running balance for 7, 15, 30, 45, 60, 90+ days of invoices with an open balance? The CRM has you covered! There is no need to run the report manually if you want to get it delivered to your email inbox automatically each day, week, or month. You could also automate the Invoice Billing Report for a running date range.
💡 Scheduled reports always have an exported Excel version of the report attached to the email delivery.
To begin creating a scheduled report, select your report filters/options, and then click "Run Report" to preview the results. For example, select a "Start Date" that goes back 45 days and an "As of" date of today's current date.
Then, click the "Export/Schedule Report" button. In the small pop-up that appears, give the report a name, select a schedule frequency (daily/weekly/monthly/bi-weekly), and choose at least 1 recipient.
This is how you would create a running 45-day collections report that would be set to deliver automatically and always show you a running balance for all invoices with an open balance from the past 45 days. Scheduling a report with these parameters will automatically adjust the "Start Date" and "As of" Date based on each day that the report is run to respect the 45-day range that was set.
Scheduled Report Options:
- Schedule Name - Name of this report. For example, 45-Day A/R Report, or 45-Day Collection's Report, or any name of your choosing. This name will appear in the email subject line of the report delivery.
- Schedule Frequency - Choose from daily, weekly, monthly, or bi-weekly. Depending on the chosen delivery frequency, you will also need to choose the day(s) of the week or the specific day of the month that you want the report to be sent! We recommend reviewing the pop-up to see all the available options.
- Sending Time - This is the time of day when the report will be delivered to you. It is best practice to set this to either late in the day or the start of your day, but you may decide.
- Recipients - Select from any active users in your system for report delivery. If you need to add a recipient that is not a user, then type their email address in, and then press the enter key.
If you need further assistance with your CRM system, please reach out to the support team.
🤗 Thank you very much for choosing CRM!