Bank Account Transaction/Ledger/Trust Report Follow
Bank Account Transaction/Ledger/Trust Report
The Law Ruler Bank Account Transaction Report is versatile and was designed to be used as a trust report, reconciliation report, as well as a ledger report for all transactions that are saved on accounts within the Law Ruler system. The report will give firms a detailed view of transactions for each client, by bank account, and could be filtered in many different ways for different purposes. For example, you could filter the report to only output transactions on trust accounts to use it as a Trust Accounting Report.
If you are looking to export or backup your bank transactions, you may also use the report for that purpose.
To access the report, click on the Reports menu in the left menu, then click on the
Bank Account Transaction Report
⚠️ NOTE: This report does require administrative or reports access, so if you do not have that level of access and need it, then contact your firm administrator or IT department.
Billing History Report Options and Filters
After you are in the Bank Account Transaction Report, you have several options to choose from to get the information that you need on your report.
Click the "Run Report" button to run the report based on your filters/options selected. If you would like to change the results, then press the "Cancel" button and it will allow you to change the filters/options and run the report again. Rinse and repeat as needed.
- Report Period - this dropdown filter will allow you to select a predefined date range or select "Custom" to enter a custom value for "Start Date" and "End Date" This will display all transactions per the report filters and the selected date range in the reporting period.
- Bank Accounts - this will allow you to select 1 or more bank accounts that exist in the system to include on the report results. If you want to create a Trust Report, then limit the bank accounts to only include trust accounts in the filters.
- Only Show Open Balances - this filter is set to the "Off" position by default since a bank account transaction report should show all transactions on bank accounts, per the filters selected.
- Case Types - select from 1 or more practice areas to filter the report by case type. Default = All.
- Transaction Types - select from Payments, Deposits, and Transfers. Default = All.
- Specific Cases - search for 1 or more cases to filter the report by specific cases. Default = All.
- Specific Clients - search for 1 or more clients to filter the report by specific clients. Default = All. The report is organized by Client, so if a client has more than 1 case, then all of their cases on the selected accounts will show in the report results and the report export.
About the Bank Account Transaction Report
The report results for the Bank Account Transaction Report will look similar to this screenshot (you may need to zoom in your web browser to see the individual columns):
The Bank Account Transaction Report contains all of these metrics and sort filters in each column to allow sorting A to Z (Ascending) or Z to A (Descending) by pressing the arrow icons:
- Date - the transaction date for each transaction listed
- Paid By - the selected contact name that was selected as the payee of the transaction (optional)
- Paid To - the selected contact name that was selected as the recipient of the transaction (optional)
- Transaction Type - the transaction type of the transaction: Payments, Deposits, or Transfers.
- Case - this is the Case Name. This is a clickable link if you want to go right to the case.
- Billed Staff User - this is the name of the billed staff user.
- Funds Out - the amount of funds taken out of the account for each transaction, if any
- Funds In - the amount of funds added to the account for each transaction, if any
- Balance - the running balance (net of transactions) for the account, based on the included transactions in the report results.
- Closing Balance - the closing balance for Funds Out, Funds In, and the Running Balance for each account.
- Client Total - the total balance for all included transactions in the report results for each Client. This will appear at the end of any accounts/cases that are included in the report results.
NOTE: Clients with multiple cases and accounts will show a Client Total that is bundled together at the end of each client, in the report results.
Exporting the Billing History Report
Need to export a report? Law Ruler's Billing History Report includes an Export button that will use your on-screen/current report filters and export the results into Excel onto your device. To run an exported report, click the "Export" button after first running the report.
Automated Delivery of Billing/Accounts Receivable/Collections Reports
Need a weekly or monthly ledger or trust report sent to you? Law Ruler has you covered. There is no need to run the report daily, weekly, or monthly if you want to get it delivered to your email inbox automatically each day, week, or month.
💡 Scheduled reports always have an exported Excel version of the report attached to the email delivery.
To begin creating a scheduled report, select your report options/filters, and then click "Run Report" to preview the results. For example, select a Start Date that goes back 1 year. Then, click "Schedule Report" and select daily, weekly, or monthly as shown below.
Scheduled Report Options:
- Schedule Name - name this report, for example, Monthly Trust Report, or Weekly Ledger Report, or any name of your choosing. This name will appear in the email subject line of the report delivery.
- Schedule Frequency - choose from daily, weekly, monthly, or biweekly.
- Sending Time - this is the time of day when the report will be delivered to you. It is best practice to set this to either late in the day or the start of your day, but you may decide.
- Recipients - select from any active users in your system for report delivery. If you need to add a recipient that is not a user, then type their email address in, and then press the comma or enter key.
If you need further assistance, then please contact Law Ruler Support to assist you further.
🤗 Thank you very much for choosing Law Ruler!